FCC Environment (formerly Waste Recycling Group) instigated the creation of WREN in 1997.
The reasons for transferring the grant giving role and Landfill Communities Funds to an “arms length” and independent distributive Environmental Body were to:
- give maximum support to smaller community, conservation and heritage projects which are located within 10 miles of FCC Environment landfill sites.
- ensure a professional proactive response to applicants
- contain costs associated with grant giving to maximise the flow of money into worthwhile projects.
- allow employees to focus wholly on running a commercial waste disposal business
- avoid any challenge that FCC Environment derived commercial benefits from landfill tax credit money
Since the introduction of the Landfill Communities Fund in 1996 FCC Environment have been strong supporters. Their long term commitment is assured through a formal Funding Agreement between FCC Environment and WREN.
From waste to resource.
FCC Environment are the leading UK waste and resource management company and are part of a global group with a strong heritage in providing services for communities and business. Our vision is to be the environmental company of choice, delivering change for a sustainable future. They offer:
Municipal services – household waste collection, street cleansing, parks and gardens maintenance
Business waste solutions – waste collection and recycling services for small and large companies
Recycling – material recycling facilities, household waste recycling centres
Green energy – recovery of energy from waste
Waste processing –industrial waste treatment, hazardous wastes and landfill disposal
They employ 2,400 people and operate more than 200 facilities across England,Scotland and Wales.